Building UP your community!

Building UP your community!
Building UP your Community

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

2nd and 3rd Children's Community Builds :)


Children's Community Build


Last week, I had the wonderful opportunity to substitute two kindergarten classroom in Owatonna.  Towards the end of the week I brought in stories about communities around the world and I talked about the organization I have been working with the last four years, Habitat for Humanity.  All week we were saving up milk cartons for a special surprise at the end of the week and they were so excited to find out what we were going to be building.  After I shared a few stories, I spread a felt carpet out onto the floor.  The carpet was filled with roads, stop signs and trees, but there was something missing in this community.  The children knew right away what was missing and lots of them yelled, "HOUSES"! They were filled with energy and excitement.  The children were so happy to build up their own home for the community.  This also had them thinking of the many different things we need to keep our community safe and healthy, including: schools, hospitals, Churches, firehouse and grocery stores. 

Once we finally put the community together, the children were so happy to see what they built.  Words cant describe the joy and happiness you see on a child's face after they have achieved something that they worked so very hard on.  I was very happy to bring the Children Community Build into the classroom and I am thankful for all the teachers that were such a wonderful help!





Thanks again and I hope to bring more Children's Community Builds into the classrooms and hospitals around the Minnesota area!

 


Habitat for Humanity-
 Children's Community Build




No comments:

Post a Comment